What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
Colon Hydrotherapy, also known as Colon Cleansing or Colon Irrigation, is a safe and effective procedure that eliminates digestive waste without the use of medication or supplementation. During the procedure, warm, filtered water gently rinses the colon, softening fecal matter and promoting peristalsis. This helps to detoxify the colon and remove excess mucus, feces, harmful toxins, and other effluents.
When fecal matter remains in the colon for extended periods, it can become toxic and lead to serious health issues. These toxins can penetrate the colon walls and enter the bloodstream, causing inflammation, bloating, and other illnesses, while impairing the assimilation and absorption of essential minerals. Stagnant fecal waste inhibits peristalsis, leading to constipation or irregular bowel movements, which further contributes to numerous other health issues.
How was it originated?
Colon therapy has a rich history, with references found in ancient medical texts such as the Eber Papyrus and Susruta Samhita, dating back to 1500 B.C. It was also promoted by famous physicians like Hippocrates. In the early 1900s, John H. Kellogg, M.D. extensively used colon therapy to treat gastrointestinal diseases, reporting its effectiveness in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Despite being a standard practice in hospitals and doctor’s offices during the 1920s, ’30s, and ’40s, colon therapy’s use declined for the next 50 to 60 years due to the belief that it was no longer useful. However, the development of advanced colon therapy techniques and modern therapy machines has led to a resurgence of interest in natural therapies, such as colon hydrotherapy. These alternative health therapies offer a safe and convenient way to restore and maintain health, especially in light of the harmful and lasting side effects of antibiotics and unhealthy eating habits. Traditional healthcare practitioners are now expected to incorporate these natural therapies in their treatments.
What to eat before Colonic Hydrotherapy?
For an effective and comfortable colonic experience, we advise you to limit your intake of sugary foods and fried and bakery items at least 24-48 hours before your treatment. Avoid eating heavy protein foods like red meat and pork. Increase your water intake and also the amount of fiber in your food.
We suggest 3 hours of fasting on the day of treatment, you can, however, consume some liquids like green tea, juices, or water. The whole process takes around 45-60 minutes and we advise you to reach 15 minutes before the start of your treatment.
Do eat raw fruits and veggies, lightly steamed low starch vegetables, organic raw nuts, and seeds. Have plenty of omega 3, 6, 9 fatty acids, coconut oils, avocados, and cold-pressed plant oils (olive and sesame oil).
What to do after Colon Hydrotherapy?
Post-Colon Hydrotherapy Diet Recommendations
- Avoid highly processed foods and those to which some people are sensitive or intolerant: This includes dairy, gluten, eggs, peanuts, red meat, sugary snacks, coffee, tea with caffeine, and alcohol for at least 24 hours after the procedure. These foods can cause inflammation, irritate the colon, and hinder the detoxification process.
- Consume mostly organic vegetables, fruits, whole non-glutenous grains, nuts, seeds, and lean protein: These foods are rich in nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants that can aid in the detoxification process, support gut health, and boost the immune system.
- Greek yogurt is an excellent source of probiotics: Probiotics are good bacteria that can improve gut health, digestion, and immunity. Greek yogurt is a great source of probiotics and can help replenish the gut flora after colon hydrotherapy.
- Fresh fruits such as blueberries, cantaloupe, grapes, and raspberries are suitable in moderation: These fruits are less gas-producing and contain high levels of antioxidants and vitamins that can benefit the body. However, they should be consumed in moderation due to their sugar content.
- Vegetables low in carbohydrates, such as bell peppers, bok choy, and spinach, are also beneficial: These vegetables are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals that can promote gut health and aid in the detoxification process.
- Green smoothies and fresh homemade juices can supplement your diet: These drinks are rich in nutrients and can help hydrate the body, which is crucial for optimal gut function and detoxification.
- Drink 3 litres of water a day, including coconut water: Staying hydrated is essential for optimal colon function and detoxification. Coconut water is a great source of electrolytes that can help replenish the body’s fluids.
- Whole grains like brown rice, millet, and quinoa, along with fiber-rich foods, are also beneficial: These foods are rich in fiber, which can promote bowel regularity, support gut health, and aid in detoxification.
- Herbal drinks such as green or herbal tea are recommended: These drinks are rich in antioxidants and can aid in detoxification. Vegetable soups like spinach soup or vegetable soup are also beneficial.
- Nuts and seeds like almonds, basil seeds, chia seeds, and flaxseeds are great for snacking: These snacks are rich in healthy fats, fiber, and protein that can promote gut health and aid in the detoxification process.
By following these dietary guidelines after colon hydrotherapy, you can enhance the effects of the procedure and promote a healthier lifestyle. It’s important to note that these recommendations may vary depending on the individual’s health status and medical history, so it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized dietary advice.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR COLON HYDROTHERAPY TREATMENT
- Abdominal Hernia
- Active Fissure
- Active Inflammatory
- Bowel Disorders – Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s, Colitis and Diverticulitis.
- Active Rectal Fistula
- Autonomic Dysreflexia (occurs in spinal injuries at or above T6)
- Bowel Obstruction – e.g., adhesions, volvulus, tumour, etc.
- Carcinoma of the colon or rectum
- Diabetes – Uncontrolled
- Epilepsy – Uncontrolled
- Heart Failure
- Hypertension –severe or uncontrolled
- Inflamed Haemorrhoids (Piles)
- Liver function
- Radiotherapy of abdominal area not discharged from medical care
- Rectal Bleeding
- Reduced kidney function
- Tight Sphincter
- Undiagnosed Persistent Diarrhoea
The following timelines given post-surgery/treatment are deliberately conservative and could be less with the written support of a Medical Professional.
- Recent bowel biopsy – 3 months.
- Recent prostate biopsy made through the bowel – 3 months.
- Recent abdominal surgery, laparoscopic or open – 3-6 months depending on severity of
surgery and on medical discharge with no complications.
- Recent laparoscopic investigation – 6 weeks and on medical discharge
- Recent surgery of colon or rectum – 6 months.
- Recent Gastric Band, Sleeve or Bypass Surgery – 6 months
What is in it for me?
1. Prevents constipation & improves muscle tone
3. Better Digestion
5. Weight Loss
7. Concentration & Reduction in anxiety
2. Radiant skin
4. Improves immune system function
6. Reduces the risk of colon cancer
8.Improved Nutrient Digestion
What Our Clients Say
I came for a massage here twice now & both the ladies who gave me a massage and were so lovely & the massage itself was perfect, definitely going to be a monthly thing for me xx
Just had a massage today with my wife; a very good experience I would recommend to everyone. Very polite and professional
Have regular massages after playing sports and the stresses of life, staff are very good at their jobs, work hard. Also a clean environment and very good value for money.
Having suffered from sciatica pain and had enough of my GP, I was recommended to have a massage to overcome my pain. The staff here were helpful. After my massage treatment I was pain free. Thank you Kerala Ayurdeva Clinic.
That was hands down the best massage I’ve ever had! Thank you Kerala Clinic, those kinks I had in my upper back and neck were hell. You saved me from the pain I had been experiencing for weeks at my job! Thanks so much I will definitely be recommending to others and returning here.
Excellent service received, went with my partner and was looked after from start to finish. Will visit again, if my aches and pain continue in my back. Definitely recommend it to anyone after a professional massage.
Frequency of colonics - We suggest 3 sessions in a year, 7 to 14 days apart. It also depends on your age, lifestyle habits, and the level of exposure you have to the environmental and chemical toxins.
T: 0116 262 1118, 0116 253 0057